[rust-dev] Deprecating rustpkg

György Andrasek jurily at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 00:36:44 PST 2014

I never quite understood the problem `rustpkg` was meant to solve. For
building Rust code, `rustc --out-dir build` is good enough. For running
tests and benchmarks, `rustc` is good enough. For downloading things, I
still need to feed it a github address, which kinda takes away any value
it could have over `git clone` or git submodules.

What I would actually need from a build system, i.e. finding
{C,C++,Rust} libraries, building {C,C++,Rust} libraries/executables and
linking them to said {C,C++,Rust} libraries, it doesn't do. It also
doesn't bootstrap rustc.

[Disclaimer: I've never quite got a rustpkg workflow going. It's
probably awesome, but completely overshadowed by `rustc`.]