[rust-dev] Deprecating rustpkg

Tim Chevalier catamorphism at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 00:02:18 PST 2014

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 10:20 PM, Val Markovic <val at markovic.io> wrote:

> On Jan 27, 2014 8:53 PM, "Jeremy Ong" <jeremycong at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm somewhat new to the Rust dev scene. Would anybody care to summarize
>> roughly what the deficiencies are in the existing system in the interest of
>> forward progress? It may help seed the discussion for the next effort as
>> well.
>
> I'd like to second this request. I haven't used rustpkg myself but I've read
> its reference manual (
> https://github.com/mozilla/rust/blob/master/doc/rustpkg.md) and it sounds
> like a reasonable design. Again, since I haven't used it, I'm sure I'm
> missing some obvious flaws.

Thirded. I implemented rustpkg as it's currently known, and did so in
the open, detailing what I was thinking about in a series of
exhaustively detailed blog posts. Since few people seemed very
interested in providing feedback on it as I was developing it (with
the exception of Graydon, who also worked on the initial design), I
assumed that it was on the right track. I rewrote rustpkg because
there was a perception that the initial design of rustpkg was not on
the right track, nor was cargo, but obviously simply rewriting the
whole system from scratch in the hopes that it would be better didn't
work, since people are talking about throwing it out. So, before
anybody embarks on a third rewrite in the hopes that *that* will be
better, I suggest that a working group form to look at what went wrong
in the past 2 or 3 attempts at implementing a build system / package
system for Rust, so that those mistakes can be learned from. Perhaps
all that needs to be done differently is that someone more central to
the community needs to write it, but if that's what it takes, it seems
preferable to the wasted time and effort that I imagine will ensue
from yet another rewrite for the sake of throwing out code.

Cheers,
Tim

>> On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 6:05 PM, Steve Klabnik <steve at steveklabnik.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Vote of strong support here. I removed the rustpkg chapter from Rust
>>> for Rubyists for a reason. :/

Tim Chevalier * http://catamorphism.org/ * Often in error, never in doubt
"If you are silent about your pain, they'll kill you and say you enjoyed it."
-- Zora Neale Hurston