[rust-dev] Deprecating rustpkg

Brian Anderson banderson at mozilla.com
Mon Jan 27 17:25:46 PST 2014

Hey again, Rusticians.

So I think most of us know that rustpkg isn't quite working the way
people expect, and the general consensus seems to be that its flaws
extend pretty deep, to the point where it may just not be exposing the
right model. I'd like to deprecate it immediately to end the
frustrations people continue encountering with it, while we figure out
what to do with it.

Having a good packaging story is critical for Rust's adoption, so I want
to keep pushing on this. I am looking into hiring a domain expert to
help us.

Regards,
Brian