[rust-dev] Why focus on single-consumer message passing?

Daniel Micay danielmicay at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 13:16:07 PST 2014

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 3:21 PM, Vladimir Lushnikov
<vladimir at slate-project.org> wrote:
> Right, I should have been clearer :) There's no way to share memory without
> having to use a lock (e.g. in Arc) unless you use unsafe Rust.

Arc doesn't use a lock as it's immutable. There's also no way to do
message passing without unsafe code.

High-level mutable concurrent data structures would have fine-grained
locking, as is this case with a hash table where the locking
granularity is a flexible runtime choice from 1 to N.