[rust-dev] Defining a bitfield type

Elliott Conant elliottcon at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 21:31:26 PST 2014

Hello, this is my first post here so I wanted to say congrats on making
such an awesome language so far!

On to my question, I've been struggling to elegantly define a fixed size
64-bit bitfield type.  There are two parts I'm stuck on: implementing
(just) the std::num::Bitwise operations, and extending it to iterate over
bit indices. Here's some stuff I tried:

// This gets me 90% of the way there, but it pulls in operations like add
and multiply
// which don't make sense in this context. This makes the interface a
little unsafe.
type Bits64 = u64;

// This won't compile because u64 is defined externally. It looks like
'type X = Y'
// just gives an alias to the original type.
impl Bits64 {
  fn bit_index_iter() ...
}
// An alternative that iterates over Bits64 directly. Would be neat but
same problem.
impl Iterator<u64> for Bits64 {
  fn next(&mut self) -> Option<u64> ...
}

// Works, but doesn't looks as cool as putting it in the Bits64 impl, a
little disappointing.
fn bit_index_iter(b : &Bits64) ...

// Some other ways the Bits64 type could be represented.  I could make this
work if
// I had to but the boilerplate I'd have to write scared me away.
struct Bits64(u64);
struct Bits64 {
  b: u64
}
impl std::num::Bitwise for Bits64 { ... }
let x = Bits64(123)
let x = Bits64 { b: 123 }

In my perfect world I'd be able to do something like this:

// Defines the Bits64 type and exposes only the Bitwise operations from u64.
type Bits64 implements std::num::Bitwise = u64;

// I'd be able to extend it :)
impl Bits64 { ... }

// Easy to instantiate.
let x : Bits64 = 123;

I wonder if there's something simple I missed or other alternatives? Thanks!