[rust-dev] Modules and visibility

comex comexk at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 14:11:09 PST 2014

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 4:02 AM, Lee Braiden <leebraid at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the best solution to that would be some sort of daemon that takes a
> top-level project definition, or a set of files, compiles them, monitors for
> changes, and interactively answers questions about it via some simple API:

Note that doing this well requires incremental/cached compilation,
which is one of the reasons I think it's incredibly important for
rustc to gain it.

As a vim user, I'm addicted to cscope.  cscope has serious limitations
for anything that's not C, including C++, but it's useful enough for
me to be much better than doing things manually when reading through
code I'm unfamiliar with.  From my limited experience, the one-to-one
mapping between modules and source files makes the non-tooled
experience better in Rust, but tooling would still be very useful.