[rust-dev] Why focus on single-consumer message passing?

Tony Arcieri bascule at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 12:33:55 PST 2014

On Friday, January 24, 2014, Daniel Micay <danielmicay at gmail.com> wrote:

> The language documentation currently takes a very opinionated view on
> concurrency. It focuses on message passing and at times makes the
> claim that Rust does not have shared memory between tasks. I don't
> think the language should be taking a position like this but rather
> providing useful tools to implement a concurrent application as the
> developer sees fit.

While I agree and I'm a fan of multi-consumer systems like Java
ThreadPoolExecutor and Disruptor, I think as a general pattern (and not
necessarily performance-oriented one), the actor model (which is
many-to-one by design) is probably going to be the most useful to people.

Just my 2c. I see actors as a generalized, higher-level pattern that can be
built atop CSP, and one I would love to see support for (in the form of an
Erlang/OTP-alike for Rust)

--
Tony Arcieri