[rust-dev] Improving rustc error messages

Patrick Walton pcwalton at mozilla.com
Tue Jan 21 21:55:27 PST 2014

On 1/21/14 9:48 PM, Tony Arcieri wrote:
> I think the biggest thing I've struggled with learning Rust is what I
> will call, for lack of a better phrase, "shit rustc says". Reading Steve
> Klabnik's tutorial and some blog posts about earlier versions of rust,
> it's clear that the error messages have improved dramatically since
> earlier versions, but I still think there's quite a bit of room for
> improvement.

I think we need some specific examples. I personally think that between
the colored output, printing of the erroneous lines, spelling
corrections, suggestions of `.clone()` and so forth, rustc actually has
some of the best diagnostics around for new statically-typed languages.
But there is always room for improvement of course.

Patrick