[rust-dev] redis-rs Pipelining and Connections

Armin Ronacher armin.ronacher at active-4.com
Sun Jan 19 15:29:04 PST 2014

Hi,

On 19/01/2014 22:58, Michael Neumann wrote:
> I think, if you add something like "Postpone(&mut Connection)" to the Value type
> it could work.
> Method tap would only be defined for type Value and will fails it it's value is
> not Postpone.
> Something like that:
That works if you always return value objects which I'm not doing.  I return
actual rust types unwrapped because it gets too annoying otherwise.

> impl Value {
>    fn tap(&self, fn callback) -> Connection {
>       match *self {
>           Postpone(conn) => { conn.add_callback(callback); conn }
>           _ => fail!()
>      }
>    }
> }
Same thing here.  The signature of the callback is different for each function
once you get rid of the concept of a value type.

> Hm, in my rust-redis library, I just connect in redis::Client::new(). That's
> pretty simple. What's the problem if each task just calls Client::new() instead
> of get_connection()? If address resolution is your problem, I'd solve it
> differently.
The problem with that is that each task will actually connect to the server.  If
you have 10000 tasks that's 10000 connections to the server.  My plan is to have
a connection pool on the client because of this and the tasks can fetch a
connection from there if one is available or will block until one becomes
available otherwise.

If there is no separate concept of a client then it has to be a global
connection pool which seems like a really bad idea.

Regards,
Armin