Jack Moffitt jack at metajack.im
Wed Jan 15 06:06:58 PST 2014

> used. The makefile macro may be rewritten in CMakeList.txt stuff, but this
> will still generate makefiles and thus don't solve the compilation time.

Our Makefiles are quite inferior to the ones that CMake generates. For
example, if you run `make` on an up to date servo tree, it takes
several seconds. If you run `make` on an up to date Servo tree where
the makefiles are generated by CMake, it is substantially faster. Like
0.3s or so. I didn't do a full port to CMake but I was surprised at
how bad our build currently was.

Not only that but our hand written Makefiles are pretty loose about
dependency calculation and tracking, especially across submodule
boundaries. There's lots of file globs and very little attention paid
to C headers. Both of these CMake solves.

The fact that we often see people getting decoder ICEs in rustc is a
testament to just how unreliable the current system is. Every new
submodule we add and every new flag just increases this problem.
Writing make abstractions is tedious an difficult. Writing them in
nearly anything else would be easier.

I mean, you are right that it won't fix LLVM optimization passes, so
the Rust compiler's build time won't change much, but the output
should be substantially more reliable. It might make a noticeable
difference to those doing a lot of compiler dev work due to the
quicker invocations of the tool.

> I'm curious about ninja, it is its promise to provide a simple, clean,
> super-fast Make. It has been made to replace the old Makefiles and even
> scons files to build google chrome.

Ninja is pretty fast, but CMake's generated Makefiles are probably not
far off on a project of our size. The place where this difference is
most noticeable is on builds of an up to date tree. One reason it is
fast, and also the reason it needs a generator, is that it makes no
decisions at runtime. There is no branching, etc, just the dependency
info and the commandlines to generate the build products.

Note that CMake also removes the need for autotools, which is a
blessing in itself. You may not like CMake's language, but I'll take
it over m4 any day.

jack.