Corey Richardson corey at octayn.net
Tue Jan 14 22:34:04 PST 2014

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 6:54 PM, Lee Braiden <leebraid at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 14/01/14 23:43, Corey Richardson wrote:
>>
>> This thread is deviating from its purpose. The idea isn't to hash out a
>> generic build system for all of Rust, merely for the compiler + stdlib.
>

> I think it naturally progressed, because some people wanted to discuss a
> more generic solution.
>
> But fair enough... if the only goal is to build rust, I've very little
> preference, except to say:

I don't mean to squash discussion. I think the build system the wider
ecosystem uses is important. But that can happen in another thread;
this RFC is unrelated and has a much narrow scope and wider set of
requirements.

>From the thread I it seems we want a custom solution, in Rust, that
plugs into something like Ninja. I think our dep management is simple
enough that this can work very well. (In particular, we don't have the
madness of header deps + each file being a compilation unit)