Jan Niklas Hasse jhasse at fastmail.fm
Tue Jan 14 15:49:10 PST 2014

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014, at 03:40 PM, Lee Braiden wrote:
> 2) Some packages, if Rust becomes mainstream at all, will be available
> from multiple sources, in multiple versions.  For example, rust-std
> might be included with a distro, as a standard package.  So might
> rust-sdl2.  But maybe someone with that package installed decides to
> install rust-newgame, which requires
> rust-sdl2--bobs-greenthreads-patch.  Then you have a conflict.  If your
> build script blindly installs rust-sdl2--bobs-greenthreads-patch over
> rust-sdl2, it could break all rust packages that use SDL.

This already works with rustpkg: When you type rustpkg install sdl2 it
installs it into the current working directory (locally) and there won't
be any conflicts with globally installed packages by the package
manager.

> 3) Packages take a lot of time to create and maintain.  If we want
> useful rust packages to reach as many people as possible, they should be
> readily available in as many package managers as possible, in a
> standard, non-conflicting package.

I disagree! rustpkg should handle dependencies for building a rust
package. It can automatically know which packages are needed from
"extern mod" etc. apt-get and others are just unsuited for this.