Jan Niklas Hasse jhasse at fastmail.fm
Tue Jan 14 15:15:13 PST 2014

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014, at 03:07 PM, Lee Braiden wrote:
> > package management is one job and build is another one. you will use
> > another package management on another system, while you expect to use
> > the same build system on another system.
>
> That's true IF your package manager only supports third-party binaries.
> However, if your package manager includes some build process, as most
> emphatically DO, then I believe that's incorrect.

Doesn't matter what the build system is, it's just another command to
execute specified for the debian package.

> The final goal would be to allow every distro, every operating system,
> every continuous integration system, every shell script, every cloud
> image builder, every mobile phone developer, and custom OS writer,  do
> work with Rust packages in whatever way suits them best.

I wouldn't say *every* distro, etc. Here's an extreme example: Let's say
there's a distro which forces every source package to have its filenames
start with capital letters. Should we rename our files? I would say
definitely no. The distro has to adapt in that case.

The same goes for the build system: Debian can't handle executing
"rustpkg build" instead of "make"? It's their problem! (This is of
course false: Debian CAN handle exactly that)