[rust-dev] RFC: New Rust channel proposal

Eric Reed ecreed at cs.washington.edu
Tue Jan 14 14:35:15 PST 2014

I'm skeptical about combining Chan and SharedChan. Maintaining that
distinction is useful for expressing the programmer's intent and would
certainly make any analysis that cared to distinguish between single and
multiple producers easier to implement (off the top of my head, knowing
you're the only one with a Chan means you don't have to deal with potential
race conditions arising from interleaving of messages from different
producers). Maybe a SharedChan should be constructed by consuming a Chan
and upgrading its queue rather than duplicating all of Chan constructors?

Otherwise I'm fine with this proposal.