[rust-dev] Appeal for CORRECT, capable, future-proof math, pre-1.0

Isaac Dupree ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org
Sun Jan 12 11:02:02 PST 2014

Another sweet spot for a few applications is larger-than-word-sized
fixed-width types, such as a 128 or 192 bit (u)int.  This is useful for
code that has to deal with values larger than 64 bits but within, say,
256 or 512 bits (above this, I think the costs of dynamic allocation and
non-inlined numeric code become cheap-ish compared to the numeric
computation and storage costs).  I've done this with C++ templates; it
works pretty okay; it sure makes GCC/LLVM's register allocator work hard!

-Isaac