[rust-dev] Appeal for CORRECT, capable, future-proof math, pre-1.0

Daniel Micay danielmicay at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 14:22:37 PST 2014

On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 5:13 PM, Owen Shepherd <owen.shepherd at e43.eu> wrote:

> What about other workloads?

It just depends on how much of it is doing integer arithmetic. Many
applications are bounded by I/O and memory bandwidth and wouldn't be
hurt by integer arithmetic resulting in significantly slower code.

> As I mentioned: What I'd propose is trapping by default, with non-trapping math along the lines of a single additonal character on a type declaration away.

Why would it be a language feature? It's not an operation Rust needs
to expose at a language level because it can be implemented as a
library type.