[rust-dev] Appeal for CORRECT, capable, future-proof math, pre-1.0

Marijn Haverbeke marijnh at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 02:18:41 PST 2014

I am not aware of an efficient way to provide
automatic-overflow-to-bignum semantics in a non-garbage-collected
language, without also imposing the burden of references/move
semantics/etc on users of small integers. I.e. integers, if they may
hold references to allocated memory can no longer sanely be considered
a simple value type, which doesn't seem like it'd be a good idea for
Rust.

If there is a good solution to this, I'd love to find out about it.