[rust-dev] Appeal for CORRECT, capable, future-proof math, pre-1.0

Corey Richardson corey at octayn.net
Fri Jan 10 21:41:07 PST 2014

The current consensus on this subject, afaik, is the rename int/uint
to intptr/uintptr. They're awful names, but it frees up int for a
*fast* bigint type. Fast here is key. We can't have a suboptimal
numeric type be the recommended default. We need to perform at least
as well as GMP for me to even consider it. Additionally we'd have
generic numeric literals. I don't think anyone wants what we current
have for *numerics*. Fixed-size integers are necessary for some tasks,
but numerics is not one of them.

As long as we rename int/uint to intptr/uintptr and leave int etc
reserved, I think we can defer the language issues to post-1.0. It
should be entirely backwards compatible. Development of robust
numerics can happen outside the standard library. Talk to bjz about
this, he has some ideas :)

As an aside, you mention a "real" in your blog post like it's
something that exists. Rust does not have any such type.