[rust-dev] Properly licensing Rust documentation and wiki

Brian Anderson banderson at mozilla.com
Fri Jan 10 19:44:24 PST 2014

Hey.

Time for more legal stuff. Per
https://github.com/mozilla/rust/issues/5831 the licensing of our
documentation is not clear. Like all things Rust we want to make our doc
license as permissive as possible, so after getting some legal advice
here is what I intend to do:

* Rust documentation will be MIT/ASL2 licensed like everything else.
* Add the license as a *footer* to existing in-tree documentation, under
the argument that it is already licensed according to the same terms as
the rest of the repo.
* Gather new statements from wiki contributors asserting that they
contrtibuted under the MIT/ASL2, as we did when we relicensed Rust.
* Put the license as footers on all pages of the wiki.

For the most part this should not affect anybody, though if you've ever
touched the wiki you may recieve an email from me about this in the future.

Regards,
Brian