[rust-dev] general onlookers questions on rust development

Corey Richardson corey at octayn.net
Fri Jan 10 14:44:58 PST 2014

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 5:38 PM, Don Question
<donquestion at rocketmail.com> wrote:
> Congrats to 0.9!
>
> I'm coming from a C/C++/Python background and was loosely following the
> progress of Rust
> for quite a while now, but never tried it until yesterday.
>
> I must admit i'm quite pleased so far, but i have some question, which i
> hope you could
> help to clarify.
>
> 1. I miss a search functionality on the mailing list. Am i just blind, or do
> i have to
> use google with the "site:" option?

You're not blind. But, there's also a searchable gmane mirror:
http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.rust.devel

> 2. I'm used to curly braces, but every time i have to code in C or
> JavaScript i miss the
> better readability of python's curly-free syntax. What was the reason to
> keep the (imho:
> annoying) curly braces? I must confess i was a little bit taken aback by the
> first
> sentence on rust-lang.org: "Rust is a curly-brace, ..."

I'm not 100% sure but afaik it's to keep syntactical familiarity.

> 3. If i wanted to use Rust instead of C for external Python-Modules, what
> would be my
> options to achieve that? Could i use ctypes and Rust's "extern"?

Devin Jeanpierre (aka ssbr) has Python bindings:
https://bitbucket.org/devin.jeanpierre/pyrite. They might need
updating. But yes, you'd want to use `extern "C"` and then use it the
same way you'd use a C module.

> 4. Why is the BSD implementation almost 3 times faster then the linux and
> mac-versions ?
> http://huonw.github.io/isrustfastyet/buildbot/

It isn't. It's running a stripped down version of the test suite (make
check-fast).