[rust-dev] general onlookers questions on rust development

Alex Crichton alex at crichton.co
Fri Jan 10 14:44:35 PST 2014

> 1. I miss a search functionality on the mailing list. Am i just blind, or do
> i have to
> use google with the "site:" option?

The mailing list we use is pretty standard, and it's
archived/searchable on other mirrors (gmane I think mirrors our
mailing list)

> 2. I'm used to curly braces, but every time i have to code in C or
> JavaScript i miss the
> better readability of python's curly-free syntax. What was the reason to
> keep the (imho:
> annoying) curly braces? I must confess i was a little bit taken aback by the
> first
> sentence on rust-lang.org: "Rust is a curly-brace, ..."

This is certainly a subjective topic rather than an objective one, and
we have long since made this decision. There are many reasons as to
why we chose this, along with many other things that then fell out
because of this decision. At this point it would be a little difficult
to go back to the core reason, but it's not too interesting any more
because this is pretty much set in stone at this point.

> 3. If i wanted to use Rust instead of C for external Python-Modules, what
> would be my
> options to achieve that? Could i use ctypes and Rust's "extern"?

You certainly can! You can build dynamic or static rust libraries with
functions tagged with `#[no_mangle]` so python can see the symbols.
There's at least one (and I think a few more) ruby extension which is
using rust to power it.

> 4. Why is the BSD implementation almost 3 times faster then the linux and
> mac-versions ?
> http://huonw.github.io/isrustfastyet/buildbot/

This is just an artifact of BSD running a vastly stripped down version
of the test suite (it's running on a very slow AWS bot). The BSD
implementation is not actually 3x faster than everything else.

> 5. When will we see a Rust version of the Linux kernel? Just joking! ;-)
> Keep up the good
> work!

In all seriousness, there are actually a fairly large and growing
number of kernels written in rust! Most of them are "demo quality" in
the sense that they're not production kernels, but Rust is turning out
to be a good language to write kernels in.