[rust-dev] general onlookers questions on rust development

Don Question donquestion at rocketmail.com
Fri Jan 10 14:38:49 PST 2014

Congrats to 0.9!

I'm coming from a C/C++/Python background and was loosely following the
progress of Rust
for quite a while now, but never tried it until yesterday.

I must admit i'm quite pleased so far, but i have some question, which i
hope you could
help to clarify.

1. I miss a search functionality on the mailing list. Am i just blind,
or do i have to
use google with the "site:" option?

2. I'm used to curly braces, but every time i have to code in C or
JavaScript i miss the
better readability of python's curly-free syntax. What was the reason to
keep the (imho:
annoying) curly braces? I must confess i was a little bit taken aback by
the first
sentence on rust-lang.org: "Rust is a curly-brace, ..."

3. If i wanted to use Rust instead of C for external Python-Modules,
what would be my
options to achieve that? Could i use ctypes and Rust's "extern"?

4. Why is the BSD implementation almost 3 times faster then the linux
and mac-versions ?
http://huonw.github.io/isrustfastyet/buildbot/

5. When will we see a Rust version of the Linux kernel? Just joking! ;-)
Keep up the good
work!

Thx and regards,
Don