Lee Braiden leebraid at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 00:34:32 PST 2014

On 10/01/14 08:16, Gaetan wrote:

> I am not in favor of a customized build system. For instance boost
> library use their jam build system, and i never figured how to use it
> in my projects.
>
> I push to use standard and well proved build system like cmake or
> scons, at least for major components. This would give a nice example
> of how to use it in any projects.

I'd agree with that on both counts: the principle of using something
standard, and the two recommendations.

CMake would probably get my vote, because it's not so much a build tool,
as a meta tool for whichever system you prefer, so it would fit in well
with various platform-specific IDEs, unusual platforms (android,
embedded, ...), etc.  That said, scons is also a strong contender, and
which of the two is more open to integrating patches and working with
new languages is very much worth considering.

I think Rust will be contributing to the wider community by lending its
support (and patches) to a common, modern build system, AND it will get
something back in terms of users who already know the build system.

>     On Friday, January 10, 2014, George Makrydakis wrote:
>

>         Hello,
>
>         Having a build system entirely dependent of Rust alone, would
>         make the entire experience in deploying the language extremely
>         cohere. The only counter - argument is indeed that it would
>         require some work to get this to fruition. I would like to
>         know if this has any chance of getting priority soon enough.

Bear in mind that Debian are having a lot of issues packaging Rust
already, because it self-compiles.  If the build tool also had a Rust
pre-dependency, that would be a big step backwards.

--
Lee