George Makrydakis irrequietus at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 22:46:07 PST 2014

Hello,

Having a build system entirely dependent of Rust alone, would make the entire experience in deploying the language extremely cohere. The only counter - argument is indeed that it would require some work to get this to fruition. I would like to know if this has any chance of getting priority soon enough.

G.

Corey Richardson <corey at octayn.net> wrote:
>Hey all,
>
>The build system has grown a fair bit of complexity, and is getting
>hard to understand. I've been thinking about what could replace it
>moving forward. Most of the complexity stems from having to self-host
>(ie, staging) and cross compilation (which target are we compiling
>for, and with which host?)

[...]

>3. Write a build system in Rust.
>
>This would take care of everything for us, using ourselves. We'd have
>a small script fetch the snapshot and build the build system, and then
>hand off the rest of the build to it. This has the advantage of one
>less build-time dependency, but the disadvantage that it's going to be
>a lot of work. This could also potentially output tup, ninja[3], or
>another form of build script after taking configuration options and
>so-forth. It could also integrate with librustc for smart handling of
>comments-or-test-only changes, an issue near to my heart[4]. This
>build system could potentially be rustpkg, but as I understand it the
>current idea is to *remove* rustpkg's ability as a build system and
>keep it as a package manager. (At least, that is what I've understood
>of recent discussion; this could be wrong.)

[...]