[rust-dev] Porting rust to DragonFlyBSD

Alex Crichton alex at crichton.co
Tue Jan 7 08:10:22 PST 2014

The snapshots themselves are all "static binaries" in the sense that
they have no dynamic rust dependencies and only the "necessary" system
dependencies. Rustc does not generate 0-dependency static binaries
right now that depend on libstd (as that would involve rewriting libc
and writing a syscall interface for all platforms).

When porting to a new architecture, the general idea is to add support
in the compiler and standard libraries, then use cross compilation
from a supported platform to generate a snapshot for the target
platform, then take the snapshot and bootstrap on the target platform.

A new platform hasn't shown up in awhile, but this sounds pretty cool!