[rust-dev] Using CMake with Rust

Patrick Walton pcwalton at mozilla.com
Wed Jan 1 20:31:30 PST 2014

On 1/1/14 8:26 PM, SiegeLord wrote:
> (Posting this here as I think it might be useful for some but I don't
> feel like getting a Reddit account and there's no rust-announce).
>
> I've been experimenting with building Rust crates using some established
> build systems, focusing on SCons and CMake due to their popularity.
> Neither turned out to be a perfect fit for Rust, but CMake was
> marginally less bad so I chose it in the end. To that end I created some
> CMake modules that make that integration be as painless as possible.
> Here's what a minimal CMakeLists.txt would look like for a single
> library crate project:

Cool! Experimentation with build systems for Rust is awesome.

(To be honest—and these are just my own personal thoughts, and I do not
speak for the entire team here—I'm beginning to wonder if we should just
find which third-party build system works best, bless it, and build
high-quality tooling around it rather than create another build system
of our own.)

Patrick