[rust-dev] New moderation policy

Brian Anderson banderson at mozilla.com
Tue Apr 29 17:15:21 PDT 2014

Hey!

This is a new section for our development policy covering moderation
guidelines. It tells both community members and moderators the mechanics
of when and how a conversation should be moderated.

This involves no changes to the Rust Code of Conduct; it is making
explicit the informal process that is already in place for dealing with
violations.

It is posted on the wiki:
https://github.com/mozilla/rust/wiki/Note-development-policy#moderation

## Moderation

These are the policies for upholding our community's standards of
conduct in our communication channels, most notably in Rust-related IRC
channels.

1. Remarks that violate the Rust standards of conduct, including
hateful, hurtful, oppressive, or exclusionary remarks, are not allowed.
(Cursing is allowed, but never targeting another user, and never in a
hateful manner.)

2. Remarks that moderators find inappropriate, whether listed in the
code of conduct or not, are also not allowed.

3. Moderators will first respond to such remarks with a warning.

4. If the warning is unheeded, the user will be "kicked," i.e., kicked
out of the communication channel to cool off.

5. If the user comes back and continues to make trouble, they will be
banned, i.e., indefinitely excluded.

6. Moderators may choose at their discretion to un-ban the user if it
was a first offense and they offer the offended party a genuine apology.

7. If a moderator bans someone and you think it was unjustified, please
take it up with that moderator, or with a different moderator, **in
private**. Complaints about bans in-channel are not allowed.

8. Moderators are held to a higher standard than other community
members. If a moderator creates an inappropriate situation, they should
expect less leeway than others.

In the Rust community we strive to go the extra step to look out for
each other. Don't just aim to be technically unimpeachable, try to be
your best self. In particular, avoid flirting with offensive or
sensitive issues, particularly if they're off-topic; this all too often
leads to unnecessary fights, hurt feelings, and damaged trust; worse, it
can drive people away from the community entirely.

And if someone takes issue you with something you said or did, resist
the urge to be defensive. Just stop doing what it was they complained
about and apologize. Even if you feel you were misinterpreted or
unfairly accused, chances are good there was something you could've
communicated better — remember that it's your responsibility to make
your fellow Rustians comfortable. Everyone wants to get along and we are
all here first and foremost because we want to talk about cool
technology. You will find that people will be eager to assume good
intent and forgive as long as you earn their trust.

*Adapted from the [Node.js Policy on
Trolling](http://blog.izs.me/post/30036893703/policy-on-trolling)*