[rust-dev] Call for a "practical" Rust guide

Matthew McPherrin mozilla at mcpherrin.ca
Mon Apr 21 18:32:04 PDT 2014

I think this sounds good overall.

However, I don't think we can completely kill the tutorial:  I think
we still need a "Getting Started with Rust" document that is an
expanded version of the tutorial section of the same name, and an
abbreviated version of the rest of the tutorial.  I imagine this is
much more hand-holding than your practical guide.

  That should probably go through Installing Rust, writing and running
Hello World, and then some simple program involving at least using
some standard library code, a struct, enum and function definition.
Using a for loop and an if statement. Maybe a simple "guessing game"
or something. I'd also imagine it being "localized" for each OS we
support, especially with respect to installation, compiling, and
running a program.

In contrast, I'd expect the "practical guide" to include more
information about what options are available for rustc installation,
including the merits of source versus nightly installation, etc.
Questions that a developer interested in seriously using rust may care
about, but which would be "noise" for someone wanting to quickly try
out Rust.