[rust-dev] ABI Opinion Poll

Sean Stangl sstangl at mozilla.com
Wed Mar 13 10:36:45 PDT 2013

Specifying ABI on the rust side may not be desirable. For example, ARM contains the option of at least the ABIs "armeabi"/"gnueabi" and "armeabi-v7"/"gnueabi-v7". This might be OK if Rust never intends to support cross-compilation, but with a number of targets, explicit annotations would get very hairy for no real gain.

But on top of that, a single ARM system may use disjoint ABIs in terms of softfp/hardfp, so autodetection wouldn't be valid since either is a valid option but the decision is significant.

It might be better for Rust to just express "this uses some C calling convention", and then have the specific convention decided at configuration time by the person compiling.

Sean