[rust-dev] Test suite uses too many open fds

Graydon Hoare graydon at mozilla.com
Wed Jul 17 11:34:12 PDT 2013

On 13-07-17 10:37 AM, Brian Anderson wrote:

> Uh, that math was wrong. num_cpus * 2 * num_cpus * 4 * 2 = 256 :)

I'm a bit confused here. Is the arithmetic based on the notion of
"num_cpus * 4" test-tasks running at once (let's say 32 tasks, on an
8-way machine) all doing MT-scheduler testing at the same time, thus
making "num_cpus * 2 * 2" (i.e. 32) fds?

I would also point out that the testsuite runs subprocesses on pipes and
thus chews up 3 more fds per subprocess. They get recycled but only when
the subprocess is dropped.

-Graydon