[rust-dev] bikeshedding println() and friends

Steven Ashley steven at ashley.net.nz
Sun Jul 14 14:06:47 PDT 2013

On Sunday, July 14, 2013, Benjamin Striegel wrote:

> I think Jack's proposal is fine, but as Bennie notes I think it's still
> worth discussing whether C#-style formatting would be a better fit for us
> than C-style formatting.

C# style formatting has the (dis?)advantage that it is possible to
duplicate and reorder values by only changing the format string. This is
sometimes useful for crude internationalization and localization.

Are these sorts of use cases within the scope of this discussion?

Will dynamic format strings even be possible?

I imagine developers needing this sort of functionality may be better off
using a dedicated i18n library.

Steven