[rust-dev] Incremental and generational GC

Felix Klock pnkfelix at mozilla.com
Thu Jul 11 16:00:47 PDT 2013

Niko (cc'ing Patrick and rust-dev; resending from correct account)-

> > * Objects in the borrowed set are scanned during each minor
> > collection, even if they're tenured.
>
> I wouldn't add a non-tenured object to the borrowed set. What's the
> point.

What if (1.) the borrowed-object is in the nursery at the time of the borrow, and (2.) then is tenured during a minor gc that occurs during the dynamic extent of the borrow, and (3.) there are more writes to the newly tenured object during the dynamic extent of the borrow?

Or in (rough) code:

let cell : &Cell<T> = ...;    // cell is young and in the nursery
let ref : &T = cell.as_mut(); // cell is still in the nursery
<minor gc> // cell is tenured into the older generation, and has no refs into nursery
...        // (i.e. its referents in nursery are also tenured here), so cell is not
...        // added to remembered-set nor borrowed-set.
*ref = new_infant(); // now cell is in tenured space and has a ref to infant in nursery;
...                  // but there is no meta-data telling GC to scan cell at next GC...
<minor gc>           // Nothing keeping baby alive.
compute(*ref);       // Boom!

Cheers,
-Felix