[rust-dev] Iterator blocks (yield)

Corey Richardson corey at octayn.net
Sat Aug 10 20:51:12 PDT 2013

On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 9:23 AM, Michael Woerister
<michaelwoerister at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I'm writing a series of blog posts about a possible *yield statement* for
> Rust. I just published the article that warrants some discussion and I'd
> really like to hear what you all think about the things therein:
> http://michaelwoerister.github.io/2013/08/10/iterator-blocks-features.html

I don't know a lot about the topic, but generators would be really
awesome. I would put "No dependence on threads, scheduler and garbage
collection" from nice-to-have to essential, however. Language features
with a keyword shouldn't depend on any specific runtime environment,
IMO. Most of my interaction with the subject has been in Python, or
using Lua's coroutines. Having similar but zero-overhead functionality
would make Rust ever-more appealing.