[rust-dev] Making fail!() and assert!() usage nicer

Marvin Löbel loebel.marvin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 01:53:34 PDT 2013

Am 24.04.2013 04:36, schrieb Brian Anderson:
> On 04/23/2013 03:24 PM, Marvin Löbel wrote:
>> Ever since fail and assert got turned into macros, failing with a
>> string message has become quite line-noisy:
>>
>> fail!(~"cause")
>

>> Personally I think 3 is the easiest to implement option, and nice
>> even without the fmt! optimisation. I already locally implemented the
>> necessary changes that would allow switching to it after an snapshot,
>> but I wanted to ask what others think.
>>

> From what you've presented, I like 3.
>
> I agree with this sentiment in general, and agree that all these
> related string-taking macros, assert, fail, debug, etc. should behave
> similarly, generally accepting whatever you throw at them. It would be
> very desirable I think to not duplicate the string in the case where
> ~str is the only argument. This could probably be done with a trait
> that converts to ~str by value (so ~str.to_str_by_val() is a no-op).
>
> We have always had this lingering notion that fail *could* accept a
> dynamically typed twiddle, called `~Any`. If we go this direction of
> passing everything through `fmt!` then that becomes more complicated.
>
> I think there will be solutions though. In the case where `fail` is
> passed just one argument it could be interpreted as an instance of
> some trait, Exceptiony, that can be called to cast the value to
> `~Any`. When multiple arguments are passed it delegates to fmt.
Ah, didn't even think of the trait solution, that would probably be
another way to achieve 4. (But it wouldn't be able to accept both
&'statc str as no copy, and every other &str as a copy)
In fact, there is already a ToStrConsume trait (currently still stuck in
an pull request) that could be used for that, though it's currently
blocked on rustc not crashing with owned self. I could just implement
the macros it as a copy with a call to to_str() for now, and once that
bug is sorted out change it to to_str_consume() if not accepting a
non-'static str directly is acceptable. Actually, seeing as that would
just shift the need to copy a slice into user code, I think it wouldn't
even be that bad, and more obvious about what's going on.