[rust-dev] Renaming of core and std

Max Cantor i at cantor.mx
Tue Apr 23 11:05:33 PDT 2013

I'm pretty new to Rust (lurking on the list for a while) but have been in
the Haskell community for a while.  While cabal in general is nothing that
should be emulated, perhaps the Haskell hierarchy would be informative.

In Haskell, there are somewhat unofficial hierarchies, but here they are:

prelude:

http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/base/4.6.0.1/doc/html/Prelude.html
    the "default" module that is included by default in all source files.

base:
    http://hackage.haskell.org/package/base
    package that includes the prelude module and other core functionality.

ghc libraries:
    http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/7.6.2/html/libraries/
    ghc is the de facto reference implementation for haskell (queue
flamewar) and includes a large set of libraries in addition to base

haskell platform
    http://www.haskell.org/platform/changelog.html
    the "batteries included" distribution that includes many very commonly
used libraries as a starting point for a new project