[rust-dev] 0.5 priorities and beyond

Niko Matsakis niko at alum.mit.edu
Wed Oct 3 11:38:04 PDT 2012

With 0.4 nearly complete, I have been thinking a lot about planning for
0.5 and beyond.  A common refrain around MV, at least, is "oh, let's fix
that in 0.5".  At this point I think we plan to do everything from
fixing some outstanding bugs in the regions type system to porting the
windows build over to visual studio to complete traits to implementing
partial compilation.  In other words, a lot of stuff we'll never
actually finish in a month or two.  To that end, I was thinking that
perhaps we could try to plan a bit more up-front our 0.5 priorities.  I
made a wiki page:

     https://github.com/mozilla/rust/wiki/Note-0.5-priorities

where I was hoping that we could note down things that perhaps ought to
be priorities.  I figure people can add what they think is important and
we can hash out at the next meeting  what ought to be 0.5 and what ought
to come later.  Things that should come later can then be added to the
roadmap as necessary.

Niko