[rust-dev] Shapiro: BitC isn't going to work

Niko Matsakis niko at alum.mit.edu
Sat Mar 24 14:39:35 PDT 2012

On 3/24/12 1:57 PM, Sebastian Sylvan wrote:
> Here's a note by Jonathan Shapiro saying that BitC is no longer going
> to work: http://www.coyotos.org/pipermail/bitc-dev/2012-March/003300.html
>
> It had many of the same goals as Rust, so it may be interesting to
> this mailing list to learn from BitC.

There's no doubt that a number of the issues he raises are things that
we either have wrestled with or will be wrestling with soon.  Off the
top of my head based on a quick read--

1. By ref vs regions (they started with by ref parameters, realized that
they need regions, though the particular reasons they mention I think we
avoided just by making the mode part of the type of a function)
2. Subtyping and inheritance (tried to avoid subtyping, realized that it
was inevitable, particularly around regions)
3. Type class instance coherence (what I was calling the Hashtable
Problem)---we've still got some work to do here.
4. Code generation for generic types ("monomorphization" vs other
approaches)
5. Link-time inlining and optimization ("cross-crate inlining")

I think we've got a compelling story on most of these issues, though in
some cases the story is mostly in our heads and has yet to be realized.

Anyway, thanks for forwarding.

Niko