[rust-dev] Pushing to incoming (for those who have commit access)

Graydon Hoare graydon at mozilla.com
Fri Jul 13 08:51:03 PDT 2012

On 12/07/2012 7:42 PM, Tim Chevalier wrote:

> It's easier for each person to be responsible for running make check
> than for every person to potentially have to untangle a mess of
> commits from everybody else before making a small amount of progress.

Agreed. With the exception of Extenuating Circumstances (eg. trying to
get a very specific git-history node pushed w/o rebasing) I suggest the
following fire-and-forget command:

     git pull --rebase && make check && git push origin incoming

Put it in a while loop if need be. If you're finding that "one of these
running" backs up your work on "other changes that depend on it", you
can also make 2 (or 3) git workspaces, each of which is set up to know
about the others (rust1, rust2, rust3) and switch between them as one or
another is cycling[1].

Final note: this state of affairs is temporary. There _will_
(eventually) be build automation that lets you more or less just submit
a random git rev to an automated process that sequences the cheap-tests,
rebasing, full-tests, perf measurements and final integration all for
you. That day is not today though. I'm _just starting_ on the transition
to buildbot today, and there are a lot of steps between here and there.

-Graydon

[1] Also salient: speeding up the test cycle. Anyone who feels like
learning how our built-in profiler (and system profilers) works, you are
free to corner me on IRC and have me walk you through it. Perf tuning is
like bug-janitor duty. We all have to do it sometimes!