[rust-dev] porting to Microsoft C++?

Graydon Hoare graydon at mozilla.com
Mon Jul 2 19:29:58 PDT 2012

On 02/07/2012 1:18 PM, Joe Groff wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 12:51 PM, Patrick Walton <pwalton at mozilla.com> wrote:
>> I started on this a year or two ago, but didn't finish due to some weird
>> vtable issues which may well be gone now. There's some support code still
>> lying around for it (src/rt/msvc). I think it would be a good project.
>
> LLVM and Clang also have growing support for targeting Windows sans
> Mingw, which could be a lower-friction option than porting the runtime
> code to Microsoft-flavored C++ as Clang's Windows support matures.

We have every intention to move in this direction. I'll be commencing on
a rewrite of the rustc driver at some point in the next several months
(hopefully not really affecting the language-per-se any) and this
rewrite will revolve around the driver portions of clang, which is now
in-tree with our build and is perfectly happy to target msvc for the
assembly and linkage work (as well as compiling C/C++ parts).

See issues #1768, #1879, #1862, #2373 and related bugs.

-Graydon