[rust-dev] Heads up: alt expressions must now be exhaustive

Tim Chevalier catamorphism at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 10:11:57 PST 2012

Hi,

I've just committed a change that requires alt expressions in Rust to
be exhaustive. The change only applies to alts on expressions of type
enum, where the patterns are either irrefutable patterns or
constructor patterns. So for example:

enum foo { a, b }

let x:foo = ...; alt x { a { ...} }

will no longer compile.

If you write a non-exhaustive alt (on an enum-typed expression) that
the compiler accepts, that's a bug, so please report it.

Some languages (e.g. Haskell) make this a warning rather than an
error, but after discussion, the Rust team has decided to make it an
error.

Cheers,
Tim

--
Tim Chevalier * http://catamorphism.org/ * Often in error, never in doubt
“I cannot hide my anger to spare you guilt, nor hurt feelings, nor