[rust-dev] The Rust compiler 0.1 is unleashed

Masklinn masklinn at masklinn.net
Thu Jan 26 12:49:57 PST 2012

On 2012-01-26, at 20:31 , Graydon Hoare wrote:
> On 1/22/2012 6:41 AM, David Rajchenbach-Teller wrote:
>
>> As soon as I find some time (and if nobody has done it yet), I'll get
>> working on a Mac installer. What's the preferred strategy? Should the
>> Mac installer essentially contain the .tgz and build from source? Or do
>> we have a reference script that builds a package and that I should adapt
>> to Mac?
>
> I'm afraid I don't know enough about mac packaging standards to say.

The two ways I know of are:

1. a .pkg of the (compiled) binaries putting everything at the right place, à la Haskell Platform[0] or PythonMac[1] (I don't think a pkg spending an hour or two compiling stuff would be a great idea)
2. and/or adding it to one or all (third-party) package managers [2][3][4]

[0] http://hackage.haskell.org/platform/mac.html
[1] warning, direct link to installer http://python.org/ftp/python/2.7.2/python-2.7.2-macosx10.6.dmg
[2] source-based Macports http://www.macports.org/
[3] source-based Homebrew http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew/