[rust-dev] First thoughts on Rust

Kevin Atkinson kevin at atkinson.dhs.org
Sun Jan 22 21:52:37 PST 2012

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012, Kevin Cantu wrote:

> Regarding strings: they're in transition now.  Right now, I think you can
> choose between vectors of bytes ([u8]), strings of UTF-8 (str), and vectors
> of UCS-4 characters ([char]), and the vector library is pretty good.  A lot
> of the byte-oriented string functions should probably be marked as
> deprecated, actually, and moved or turned into UTF-8 safe functions.
> Prepare for some of what you see to change.

Are these plans written down anywhere?  I have my own ideas of what I want
to see, but I rather see what is planned first.

My main concern is the deprecated of byte oriented access into UTF-8
strings.  In my view, there needs to be some way to maintain indexes (or
maybe pointers) into a string and character oriented access is too
inefficient for variable length characters.