[rust-dev] Student projects/internships

Graydon Hoare graydon at mozilla.com
Fri Jan 13 10:57:20 PST 2012

On 12-01-13 06:25 AM, Rust wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i think that is a good idea.
>
> OTOH the core and standard libraries are still in flux:
>
> - we will probably switch a significant portion to interfaces and iterators
>
> - we should make the naming consistent

Yes. This should probably get a lot more focus after this release; it's
important to stabilize conventions and names soon. Also to keep growing
the infrastructure around cargo, so we don't risk developing >1 package
ecosystem.

> Maybe work should be focused on improving the Rust infrastructure at
> this point in time:
>
> - improve RustDoc to replace NaturalDocs
>
> - core/std library cleanups and additions:
> https://github.com/mozilla/rust/wiki/Note-wanted-libraries
>
> - bug fixing

I agree these things are important; they're certainly in my sights as
high priority for the next few releases, as they've risen to the point
of being the "most obvious stumbling blocks" for new users. You can
write in the language now -- which is *so satisfying* to be able to
finally say! -- but the libraries need a lot of work.

I'm not sure how much a student would want to do them! We have paid
employees partly because, well, some of the work is unglamorous. Student
work is also supposed to be a bit educational :)

-Graydon