[rust-dev] Student projects/internships

David Bruant bruant.d at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 07:50:59 PST 2012

Le 13/01/2012 16:33, David Rajchenbach-Teller a écrit :
> I am extremely wary of source-to-source translators, as in my
> experience, they tend to generate code that is unreadable, unreadable
> error messages, and itself produces silent errors.
I share your concern, but do they tend to do this because of the nature
of the exercise or because of  how it's done?

If it's inherent to the nature of the exercise (which is not an obvious
statement), the idea is to thrown away. If it's because of how it's
done, then, the project just needs feedback from people like you who
have been disappointed by previous experiences.

> On the other hand, writing, say, a concurrent HTML5 parser might be a
> nice way to demonstrate the power of Rust.
I agree it would be a nice way to demontrate the power of Rust.

But I was thinking about the bigger picture. The Rust All Hands Winter
2011 presentation slide 37 [3] shows a very ambitious project. I'm sure
we agree that re-doing all this work from scratch while there already
exists a C++ browser would be an error [1] [2].
Consequently, a C++-to-Rust compiler seems to be a necessity to achieve
the goal in slide 37, doesn't it?

If it can be of any influence, an HTML5 event-based parser written in
JavaScript can be found at: https://github.com/aredridel/html5

David

[1] http://www.slideshare.net/BrendanEich/msr-talk-7782102 slide 23
[2] http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000069.html