[rust-dev] Student projects/internships

David Rajchenbach-Teller dteller at mozilla.com
Fri Jan 13 07:33:19 PST 2012

On Fri Jan 13 16:11:24 2012, David Bruant wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently dove into Rust to understand what it was, and what it was for.
> I am under the impression that the Rust syntax is now quite stable
> (stable enough to write a Rust compiler in Rust).
>
> If it's the case, what about a C-to-Rust or C++-to-Rust compiler?
> It would enable to leverage some existing code.
> The Rust All Hands Winter 2011 presentation [1] say that some
> components are planned to be written (slide 39). Such components
> (parallel aspect aside) already exist in Gecko in C++. Having a
> (partial) automation of the C++ to Rust transition would probably be
> beneficial.
>
> Of course, very much like projects like Emscripten
> (C/C++-to-JavaScript compiler), there is a need to rework the
> generated code, but at least a good share of the transition is already
> done.
> It could also be an occasion to see how the Rust compiler perform with
> generated code, with code written with other style than the current
> contributors, etc.
>
> David
>
> [1] http://www.slideshare.net/pcwalton/rust-all-hands-winter-2011

I am extremely wary of source-to-source translators, as in my
experience, they tend to generate code that is unreadable, unreadable
error messages, and itself produces silent errors.

On the other hand, writing, say, a concurrent HTML5 parser might be a
nice way to demonstrate the power of Rust.

Cheers,
 David

--
David Rajchenbach-Teller, PhD