[rust-dev] Student projects/internships

David Bruant bruant.d at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 07:11:24 PST 2012

Hi,

I recently dove into Rust to understand what it was, and what it was for.
I am under the impression that the Rust syntax is now quite stable
(stable enough to write a Rust compiler in Rust).

If it's the case, what about a C-to-Rust or C++-to-Rust compiler?
It would enable to leverage some existing code.
The Rust All Hands Winter 2011 presentation [1] say that some components
are planned to be written (slide 39). Such components (parallel aspect
aside) already exist in Gecko in C++. Having a (partial) automation of
the C++ to Rust transition would probably be beneficial.

Of course, very much like projects like Emscripten (C/C++-to-JavaScript
compiler), there is a need to rework the generated code, but at least a
good share of the transition is already done.
It could also be an occasion to see how the Rust compiler perform with
generated code, with code written with other style than the current
contributors, etc.

David

[1] http://www.slideshare.net/pcwalton/rust-all-hands-winter-2011