[rust-dev] "Instance Chains: Type Class Programming Without Overlapping Instances" and type classes in Rust

Patrick Walton pwalton at mozilla.com
Mon Jan 9 18:07:17 PST 2012

On 1/9/12 5:36 PM, Tim Chevalier wrote:
> The problem the paper addresses is in Haskell, where having multiple
> instances in scope for the same class and type can cause unpredictable
> behavior. (The paper explains the basic problem in more detail pretty
> well.) It seems like there's an analogous issue in Rust when you
> import multiple sets of methods for the same type class, which I
> understand is handled with a compile failure. A difference is that
> with instance chains, an instance is not a "first-class" thing that
> you can import (like an item in Rust terminology) -- rather, you use
> type-level if-then expressions to disambiguate which instances apply.

Skimming the paper, I don't see where the modularity problem is
addressed (e.g. one module defines an instance of Show int, another
module defines an instance of Show int, now the two cannot be linked).
It only solves the problem in the overlapping case, in which both
typeclass instances apply, but one is more specific than the other (e.g.
Show [int] and Show ['a]). My initial reaction is that Rust-style named
instances are the simpler solution. We make the programmer decide
explicitly which implementation to use; we never try to guess.

Patrick