[rust-dev] Deca, a new language with goals that largely overlap those of Rust

Graydon Hoare graydon at mozilla.com
Tue Jan 3 13:21:05 PST 2012

On 12-01-03 02:29 AM, Sebastian Sylvan wrote:
> Saw this over at LtU and thought this might interest a few people
> here: http://code.google.com/p/decac/
> And here's a paper describing it in more detail:
> http://decac.googlecode.com/files/Deca%20Thesis.pdf

There's some interesting stuff in there, for sure! At a glance, the
scoped pointer types, treatment of extensible variants (with class
encoding), and multiple-dispatch systems seem worth studying some.

It's missing clearly-defined strategies for quite a bit of stuff we've
focused on, mind you:

  - Indefinite-extent allocation (cycles, leaks, etc.: malloc/free only)
  - Separate compilation (linkage, versioning, etc.: whole program only)
  - Copy minimization (move semantics, etc.)
  - Concurrent execution
  - Failure containment
  - Syntactic extension
  - Efficient / safe environment capture
  - Interop with C

But I'll certainly add it to the list of interesting competitors to keep
an eye on. Really we ought to have such a list prominently on the
website; it's good to keep us honest :)

-Graydon