[rust-dev] RFC: "impl Trait for Type"

Patrick Walton pwalton at mozilla.com
Mon Dec 31 08:54:26 PST 2012

On 12/31/12 3:05 AM, Gareth Smith wrote:
> Because they both start with the same keyword. Though perhaps this is
> not significant.

Agreed, I considered this. There are a couple of reasons why I didn't
propose a different keyword:

1. Rust tries hard to reuse keywords in general, since everyone likes a
small set of keywords.

2. I didn't really like any of the obvious options. The most obvious
keyword to switch to would be "inst" to mirror Haskell and so forth, but
is "impl"/"inst" really less confusing? I suspect many programmers would
want to "implement" a trait and would choose "impl".

Patrick