[rust-dev] Question about lifetime analysis (a 0.5 transition question)

Niko Matsakis niko at alum.mit.edu
Thu Dec 27 15:16:46 PST 2012

I'm sorry for not replying more quickly, I was not checking e-mail over
xmas break.  I do not know of any general problems with @ and
borrowing.  In any event, this is a misdiagnosis.

The problem is this: the declaration of iter looks like this:

     impl<K: Copy Eq Ord, V: Copy> RBMap<K, V>: iter::BaseIter<(&K, &V)>

In the context of a type declaration, an & means `&self`, where `self`
is the lifetime parameter associated with the type/impl/whatever (just
as the impl has two type parameters K and V, it also has an implicit
lifetime parameter `self`).  So, this declaration written out more
explicitly would be:

impl<K: Copy Eq Ord, V: Copy> RBMap<K, V>: iter::BaseIter<(&self/K,
&self/V)>

However, your method declaration is:

     pure fn each(&self, f: fn(&(&K, &V)) -> bool) { ... }

In the context of a function declaration, & means "a fresh lifetime".
So this winds up being short for a declaration life this:

     pure fn each(&self, f: fn(&a/(&a/K, &a/V)) -> bool) { ... }

However, the trait declares that `each` should have this type:

     pure fn each(&self, f: fn(&a/(&self/K, &self/V)) -> bool) { ... }

So I think that if you change your declaraiton of `each()` to:

     pure fn each(&self, f: fn(&(&self/K, &self/V)) -> bool) { ... }

It will work just fine.  I apologize for the cryptic error message.
Working on it.

I think the system of defaults regarding types like `&T` needs to
change.  I hope that a more explicit notation would make the problem
more obvious.  But that's a subject for another e-mail.

Niko